Thursday, January 7, 2010

Romeo & Juliet, Sergei, Max and Joan

Here is the first of my final assignments. This is the final project for Fashion Drawing I class. We were asked to select an art movement from two options - surrealism or pop art - and create a capsule collection of 10 looks based on an inspiration taken from within the selected movement. After thinking about it for a while, I decided to work within the surrealist movement. I thought that it was a better fit for the flowing lines and movement that I am drawn to, and encouraged more playful details and unexpected cuts, volume and silhouettes. As I was doing research, I came across the Ballet Russes company, run by Sergei Diagilev. As a former dancer, I couldn't help but be drawn to it! The ballet company was renown in the 1910 - 1930's Paris for their dramatic stage productions, for the best dancers and composers of the time, and the most prominent artists and designers, who created stunning costumes and stage sets. Among the surrealist artists who worked with the company were Max Ernst and Joan Miro, who created the costumes and stage sets for the production of Romeo & Juliet. My collection is inspired by their designs, the story of Romeo & Juliet, and by the movement, grace and beauty of ballet.

No comments: