Thursday, January 7, 2010

Playing with color

For my color theory final, we were allowed to create our own projects based on what we learned in class. The projects were allowed to be within our major, or based on what we have done in class through out the semester. I recently saw the amazing and incredibly inspiring Georgia O'Keeffe exhibit at the Whitney and decided to do a collection based on her work. I really liked her earlier works, so I decided to focus on the Series I paintings. The colors and the layers are so intense and vivid, it really gave me a lot of inspiration, and a lot of looks to choose from. I also thought about Georgia O'Keeffe herself, her life, where she lived and her style of painting. I wanted to make the collection beautiful, sensual and earthy at the same time. To tie in what we have learned in color theory, I decided to focus on one color, and play around with its shades, hues and tones. I picked the color orange, lightened and darkened it, added gray and mixed it with red. I also used two shades of blue for the shoes to compliment the orange and highlight it even more. I really like how this collection and presentation came out. Here are the results, and more to come soon!

No comments: